Senior Africa Health Consultant – Job Description
Posted: March 3, 2021
CCA is seeking a Senior Africa Health Consultant to assist with the implementation of CCA’s U.S.-Africa Health Security and Resilience Initiative, a two-year program. This initiative brings together major U.S. and African leaders, corporations, multilateral organizations, foundations, and other stakeholders to collaborate on developing policy recommendations, promoting strategic partnerships, providing critical Africa health-related information, and facilitating investment to strengthen Africa’s health systems security and resilience.
Under the initiative, a private-sector task force has been established which is composed of industry experts with a range of expertise and perspectives on Africa’s health systems that will shape the initiative’s agenda and engage with other key stakeholders. The Task Force will convene presidential/ministerial forums and country/region-focused roundtables to inform the development of policy recommendations/best practices and white papers. CCA’s U.S.-Africa Health Security and Resilience Initiative includes three focus areas that have been identified as critical pillars for strengthening African health security and building resilience:
• Disease response and management preparedness
• Universal Health Coverage implementation in Africa
• Africa health sector trade and investment
CCA is seeking an expert with deep experience and passion for building strong health systems in Africa and broad consensus-building experience across diverse stakeholders and contexts. S/he will have significant experience on donor-funded projects. S/he will support the objectives of CCA’s Health Initiative and will, in collaboration with Initiative task force members, CCA staff and key partners. Work with key stakeholders to draft white papers, policy recommendations and best practices on challenges and opportunities to investing in Africa’s health sector and improving health security.
The successful candidate will be a health-systems expert knowledgeable of the particular health sector challenges and opportunities in Africa, be an energetic, mission-driven and collaborative senior leader with a track record of coalition building and facilitating multi-stakeholder partnerships. S/he will have strong communication and decision-making skills and experience. The Senior Consultant will effectively support the CCA team to implement initiative programs including task force meetings, roundtables and special events while also staying focused on strategic goals.
S/he will have a familiarity with private sector needs in Africa’s health industry, Public-Private Partnership models and development assistance approaches and their advantages and disadvantages. S/he will have a strong interest in developing improved and innovative models for more effectively strengthening Africa’s health systems. S/he will be experienced in engaging in peer relationships with industry executives, senior government officials from low and middle-income countries and senior officials at multilateral institutions.
S/he will keep abreast of innovative and successful approaches to improving health security in Africa including: increasing trade and investment in Africa healthcare products and services, Universal Health Coverage implementation, disease response and management preparedness, non-communicable diseases (cancer, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory diseases, diabetes) and infectious diseases (HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, COVID-19 and pandemic threats), epidemiology, health economics, health system strengthening and other relevant areas of U.S.-Africa health sector engagement.
- Master’s degree in public health or a related discipline required, MD or PhD desirable;
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience required;
- Demonstrated experience implementing programs or supporting program implementation in countries in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Demonstrated program planning and design skills;
- Demonstrated experience with coalition building and facilitating multi-stakeholder partnerships;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience providing technical assistance in global health;
- Strong knowledge of trends in US-Africa health and donor initiatives and programs such as
- USAID or Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation;
- Knowledge of global health architecture and stakeholder groups;
- Strong networks in the global health community;
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, innovative mindset, and integrity;
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
Please submit a cover letter, resume to include references and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Submission: March 19, 2021
The Corporate Council on Africa Internship Program
CCA accepts applications for internships throughout the year. Interns conduct research and gather information on African policy issues. They play an integral role in planning for our Trade and Investment Missions, Conferences, Meetings Programs, Working Group Meetings, and Doing Business in Africa workshops. They also provide organizational and logistical support.
Interns MUST have:
- Background or strong interest in global affairs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced computer proficiency; must know Excel
- Strong research and analytical skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Internships are open to juniors, seniors, and graduate students, as well as recent graduates